Feb 19, 2013

Don't You Just Love Shoe Cobbler's Forms?

The old shoe cobbler's forms. Is it just me or do they seem to be popping up everywhere these days? 

Not that I was a frequent garage sale, flea market, thrift store or auction person, only up until just the past few years, but I had been to a few in my time. However, in all that time I don't recall seeing these interesting pieces of human history. 

Now? Probably thanks a lot in part the internet, blogs and Pinterest, you see images of them everywhere, & I notice them frequently in my local thrift store these days, as well.

I never really thought much about them after discovering them. I had purchased a child sized metal one at a garage sale a number of years back and thought it was just the cutest thing I'd ever seen! Clearly I finally came out from under that rock I was living under for way too long. HA! HA!

It wasn't until I was reading one of my favorite blogs called Homeroad, that a light bulb went off. Actually, she (Susan, Homeroad's owner/author) had the light bulb moment, I just did my own take on it so I could try to sell it. Talk about being an opportunist, eh? Yeah. I'm complaining in one blog post about people stealing my ideas and then turn around & talk about ME using others for my own gain. The difference being that I'm giving credit (& links) where it is due (when I can remember where it came from) not to mention that her post was from well over a year ago and she wasn't selling hers. 

K. Nuff said 'bout that.

Read Susan's post on how she displayed her Cobbler Shoe Forms. Please... go look. I'll wait, but come back.

CUTE! Right? Too cute!

Here is how I turned her idea into a portable piece.
Cobbler's shoe form, project, repurpose, farmhouse, home decor, diy
My hubby secured them to a piece of white bead board for me and then I added a vintage frame to it. I painted the old world looking numbers on them because the position of the shoes made me think of dance steps. I know, I sometimes have a strange way of thinking. My husband thought they should be L & R for Left and Right, but that's what everyone would expect. I don't always do what's expected. It takes some people a while to catch on to my way of thinking sometimes. hee hee!



 
I thought Susan's idea of hanging your purse or scarves on these made them practical. That's the kind of ideas I like, functional while being a piece of artwork and definitely a conversation piece!

While I have been working on some stuff for an upcoming spring craft show (my first spring show) Alan & I have also been working on finishing up in all the rooms that we replaced the windows in. We replaced 10 windows in our house this past fall and they were all a bit smaller than the original ones that were HUGE! So there has been quite a bit of drywall added, taping, mudding sanding and finally some painting & trim now. It's not really anything exciting, but it really adds something to this tired old room. Can't wait until we can replace the carpet that has been ugly since the dawn of time - or at least the 1980's.

I hope I can have some pictures of this to show you in the future, at least the living room anyway. I love how it's turning out and hope that it can all get completed. We have problems with finishing any project completely. 

***************************************************** 
This project was featured here:

 
 

Photobucket 
Linking to these parties:

Photobucket





4 comments:

Tracy said...

This is so neat.
I had to look at your project to know what a cobbler form was, lol
Now who's living under the rock, lol.

Andrea Amu said...

Great idea with the shoe forms, Beth! I like your project!

How nice that you've been getting some new renovation projects complete with your home. I'm sure that is all such a welcome relief! I can't wait til Spring to be able to start painting some more rooms that need done here as well!

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

You are a STAR today over at I Gotta Create! I'm featuring you and your fabulous cobbler shoe forms. http://igottacreate.blogspot.com/2013/02/12-funky-and-elegant-projects.html

Thank you so much for linking up at the Wildly Original link party!

See you at the party tonight,
<3 Christina @ I Gotta Create!

Unknown said...

Hey thanks so much for your comment on my blog! I absolutely love this!! And I totally agree I love me some old cobbler shoe forms!! Very cool!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...